Are You Hiding Behind Your Weight?
Extensive research into why some people just cannot lose weight, and why some make absolutely no effort to lose weight, unless their health is seriously threatened, has revealed some very interesting facts. In many cases, it is a psychological issue, as people often hold onto fat as a way of hiding something about themselves that they do not want to share. They use food as a way of stifling feelings that they wish they didn’t have, or don’t want anyone else to know.1
The conclusion is that the reasons for hiding behind your weight is mostly rooted in feelings of fear.
If you have a suspicion that you may be using fat as a way of hiding something, here is a question you can ask yourself: “What am I trying to hide from others?”
You may have to delve deep into your mind to find an honest answer, and if the answer is YES, the next question is how to find a way to release yourself from the bonds of secret, negative emotions. The emotional work must be done before you can embark on a journey of successfully losing weight that has kept you bound.
Some common reasons why you might be hiding behind your weight
- Been a victim of past sexual abuse, and feel that if you are unattractive that it will not happen again.2
- Fear of what others think of you is a major reason that will stop you from achieving weight loss success. You could have a mindset that should you fail to lose weight after trying, others may ridicule you, and consider you an out and out failure. You feel more at ease with people knowing and accepting you as you are – fat!3
- An irrational fear that overweight people sometimes entertain is that of how friends and family may accept them if they do slim down. They may feel unable to accept compliments, as well as criticism, or even worse – perceived rejection by some who may not like you being thinner.
- You may inherently shy and use your fat to keep people from seeing who you really are. You cover your life’s dreams with food, just in case you do succeed, and are afraid of allowing someone to really see into you.4
- Your comfort zone is just that – a comfort zone. It may not be the ideal place to be, especially if you are trapped in a fat, unhealthy body. Planning to drop the weight, and get the chance to feel good and be happy, is not something you are willing to risk. So – the comfort zone wins hands down.
No judgements here!
At one time or another we have all hidden behind something, or someone. For example, as a child you might have hidden behind your mother’s skirt because you were shy of strangers, or perhaps as a teen you hid behind extreme confidence because you were tormented by feelings of insecurity. It may be that for a long while you have been hiding behind denial that you eat too much, and denial that excess junk food can seriously damage your health.
No matter what the reasons may be for hiding something, it is no different from hiding behind your weight, for emotional reasons not always understood, even by those closest to you.5 You may be inclined to judge yourself harshly, but rest assured those who care about you will never judge you in any way if you have a weight problem.
What you can do to break the chains of obesity
The first step is to take control of your emotions, and positively identify what could be subconsciously causing you to hide behind your weight. Next, put a step-by-step plan in place to permanently change your mindset, even if it means getting some professional help to break long-standing negative ideas.
A further positive action will be to fully accept that obesity represents serious, life-threatening health dangers such as diabetes, hypertension, stroke, and heart disease. Accepting the fact that these well-documented adverse health issues have the potential to put you in an early grave, can add motivation and impetus to making a life-changing mindset in favor of positive lifestyle changes.6
Lastly, although you may have loved the sweet comfort of chocolate in times of trouble, your focus should now be on finding an effective way to shed the weight.
Losing weight is a process, more like a long-distance race than a sprint to the finish line. You may have tried (and failed) several times, but losing weight is possible with the right attitude.
It is a one step, one day at a time process, with the end-goal always firmly in sight.
How we help our clients succeed
If you are looking for a healthy way to lose weight, and safely burn off unwanted fat, get control of your appetite, stop craving unhealthy foods, feel better and look healthier, we can help.
The Clean Start Weight Loss Program is a medically designed and supervised program, with proven success in eliminating the body’s fat deposits.7 Emphasis is placed on targeting the abdomen, buttocks, thighs, neck, and face, the parts of the body where most of the fat cells are gathered.
On this program, you will:
- Decrease your appetite.
- Get your metabolism working at an optimum level of efficiency.
- Burn off unwanted, unhealthy fat.
- Create a new normal weight.
- Reduce cravings and help deal with emotional eating patterns.
The Clean Start Weight Loss Program has successfully helped many people achieve their weight loss goals, and restore health and self-esteem.
For more information about the Clean Start weight Loss Program, visit www.renewmetoday.com to take the weight loss survey, and see if you are a candidate for the program.
- Breaking the Chains of Obesity: 107 Tools Paperback – August 3, 2012 by CPT, Jennifer Zerling MS